SOLVED: Tool Change Macros - Automate Manual Tool Change?

• Hi,

I see when the program calls M6, the program pauses and requests a tool change.

Currently, I manually call the Sorotec macro (under sub user 2) for tool length measurement after inserting the new tool, then press start again.

Is there a way to have the machine call the macro automatically when it sees M6? Maybe this exists for ATC and can be adapted for MTC?

• tdawg

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Tool Change Macros - Automatic for Manual Tool Change?“ zu „Tool Change Macros - Automate Manual Tool Change?“ geändert.
  • Thanks to Roy and some others in the Eding Facebook group!

Solution: Enable the "automatic tool change" option in the software.

The Sorotec macro now works automatically:

• Set Z0
    • Start program
      • Machine moves to tool change position and asks for first tool
      • Change tool and hit OK
      • Machine measures tool, starts spindle, and executes program
    • M6 encountered:
      • Machine moves to tool change location and asks for next tool
      • Change tool and hit OK
      • Machine measures tool, starts spindle, and executes program
    • Repeat as needed

I did need to add an "M00" command for the "3503=0" statement so the machine didn't continue the program if I pressed cancel. Hopefully this doesn't cause any issues in the future.

• tdawg

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Tool Change Macros - Automate Manual Tool Change?“ zu „SOLVED: Tool Change Macros - Automate Manual Tool Change?“ geändert.
  • Hi tdawg,

no, it does not matter. The G-code created by your CAM normally only provides tool number and maybe also the tool name, so it is not relevant to have tool parameters in EdingCNC unless you use its built-in CAM or ATC with tool length determination.

In my CAM's postprocessor, I have added a Message containing the tool description so EdingCNC would show it on tool change. This helped me a lot in the past.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

For a general introduction on CNC Macros, please find this post on my website.

Cheers,

Schallbert

• Back to the change_tool macro!

There are 3 types:

• 0 ignore
    • 1 move to tool change position
    • 2 move to tool change position and measure tool.

What is the reason to use type 1 to change tools during a program without measurement?

Original Sorotec code auf Deutsch:

• Back to the change_tool macro!

There are 3 types:

• 0 ignore
    • 1 move to tool change position
    • 2 move to tool change position and measure tool.

What is the reason to use type 1 to change tools during a program without measurement?

Hi,

I programmed it, but I also dont see any reason to use this option.

But if you have a couple of thousand users, there is always the one or other who needs a certain option.

• Hey tdawg,

1 move to tool change position

My guess would be that users wit an automatic tool changer might want to use this option. They do not need to have the tool measured with every change because the tools are chucked in their holders so their length of protrusion stays the same, thus can be captured in the tool table. If you have a tool changer that's not equipped with a revolving magazine but rather a magazine where the spindle head has to select the tool, you might want to use option 1 instead of 0 to have a defined and common point in space to start off from after a tool change independently of the tool you selected.

In my opinion, this is not mandatory in any case but can help avoid running into clamps on the way back to a workpiece.

Hope this helps,

regards

Schallbert

• Hi,

I programmed it, but I also don't see any reason to use this option.

But if you have a couple of thousand users, there is always the one or other who needs a certain option.

Of course, it's a big job to make this work for everyone. It is really amazing what people are doing with these machines!

My guess would be that users wit an automatic tool changer might want to use this option. They do not need to have the tool measured with every change because the tools are chucked in their holders so their length of protrusion stays the same, thus can be captured in the tool table.

Thinking of that scenario, I think you are right. I haven't even begun to consider fixed tool lengths and tool tables, and probably won't for some time given the price of ATC. Hopefully in a few years though.

• Hallo Schalbert,

kannst Du mir in etwa die Stelle verraten, wo du es eingetragen hast:

In my CAM's postprocessor, I have added a Message containing the tool description so EdingCNC would show it on tool change. This helped me a lot in the past

Und ggf ein/zwei Tipps was du geschrieben hast?

Edit: hat sich glaub ich erledigt, da du ja nicht Fusion nutzt….

Gruß Frank

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mightyeasy ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!