Mafell brushes lifetime

• My Mafell fm1000pv ws makes a funny noise, as if the speed is not constant. It's something that happened over time not from one day to the next. Also material resistance is not an option as I'm milling black MDF at 18000rpm at 800mm/min. Could the brushes near an end-of-life time? The Mafell is at ±800 hours runtime now.

Jobs like this take up to 30 hours, with pauses during the night :sleeping:

DDV versteht Deutsch, gelernt aus 'Tatort' und 'Derrick' TV-Untertiteln.

• Since I did not have that problem myself I could only check. I found the following and think that pretty much sounds like your problem:

Here would be the Maffell replacement instructions:

Have a great day!

Stefan :-)

• Maybe this will help - I was having the same issue and discovered, that the wire, the one that's connecting on of the brushes with the board, must have been at the factory clamped with too much pressure - this caused a weak spot and after some time the wire broke and got loose.

Happily I discoverd this before any bigger damage had happened.

• I checked the brushes and they look alright. In a Reddit post I read that lifetime for Mafell brushes is 150 hours.... But I also read here somewhere that there could be interference with other wires, from stepper motor, Mafell power cable and Mafell software control. So I removed a few tiewraps from the bundle and it looked as if the problem was solved. But it wasn't.... Anyway, I ordered a new set of brushes from Sorotec and see if replacement will solve the problem.

In the meantime I was still able to do a 4mm roughing at S=24000, F=1000 and Z in 3mm steps. Now the 2mm ball nose finishing is running for 12hours fairly well, fingers crossed....

• If you have a older mafell model it can be the mainswitch

I bought it (Mafell FM1000 PV-WS 230 V 50 Hz Werkzeugwechselspindel) from you in January 2021, so I presume it's not an older model?

• Alright, the problem is solved! The rpm switchwheel on the Mafell was not at the max (6) position but at 5 something. It probably moved when I removed the cover to check connections and brushes. Didn't notice it until now when I once again checked the brushes, they're halfway so no problem there. Anyway, something to keep in mind and check when your Mafell a funny noise!

• Thanks for updating on this. But why would there be a strange noise at 5 ? Or do you mean that it was just different from the 6 ?

Eitehr way glad you found it :-)

• The noise sounded like a wobbly motor, so apparently it can't find the exact rpm that the controller is sending because the switchwheel says something different. Or the switchwheel is just not compatible with remote control, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the speed on the Mafell should be at max. The kind of vague memory you have after the solution is found....

• Actually strange. When looking at the manual it should have no effect on the spindle:

"

5.3.1 Speed setting in PV design
    In “portal mode”, the position of the setting wheel X (Fig. 2) for the speed setting is ignored. The speed can
    only be changed by the voltage at the pin “US“. If you wish to set the speed by means of the setting wheel X
    (Fig. 2), “portal mode” must first be deactivated by switching off the power supply at the pin “UPV“ or by
    removing the PV control cable.
    The correlation between speed and control voltage is illustrated in formulae (1) and (2).

"

But hey...as long as it works properly again :-)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!